April 19 Service
Call to Worship
I will bless the Lord at all times;
his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul makes its boast in the Lord;
let the humble hear and be glad.
Oh, magnify the Lord with me,
and let us exalt his name together!
Click here to view a video from Mason Jones.
Confession & Assurance
Lord Jesus Christ,
Sin is my malady, my monster, my foe, my viper,
born in my birth, alive in my life,
strong in my character, dominating my faculties,
following me as a shadow, intermingling with my every thought,
my chain that holds me captive.
Yet your compassions yearn over me,
your heart hastens to my rescue,
your love endured my curse,
your mercy bore my justice.
Let me walk in humility,
bathed in your blood,
tender of conscience,
living in triumph as an heir of salvation
through your blessed name. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon: Romans 8:1-2
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.
Confession of Faith: The Apostles' Creed
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth;
And in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried,
he descended to the dead.
The third day he rose from the dead,
he ascended into heaven,
and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic1 church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
How you decide to voice the prayers is up to your group; you may have one person pray out loud, or take turns, etc. The list below gives some suggestions of prayer concerns; you may certainly add your own.
- For the advancement of the Kingdom of God during this time
- Adjustment to the new normal
- Scientists and disease experts who are working on a vaccine for the virus
- Physicians, nurses, other medical professionals who are risking their own health to treat those in need
- Our governmental leaders--The President and Vice President, the Congress, our Governor and other state and local leaders
- Our church leaders who seek to minister to the congregation in unconventional ways
- Members and friends of our congregation who are vulnerable due to health, age, and other circumstances
1 Thessalonians 3:11-13
Now may our God and Father himself, and our Lord Jesus, direct our way to you, 12 and may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, as we do for you, 13 so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.
1. In lower case, "catholic" refers not to the Roman Catholic church but to the church made up of genuine Christian believers across time and space. It is similar to the term universal, and some churches substitute that word. But "catholic" is a theological term with a long history, and it's worth knowing and using.↩