March 29 Service2
Call to Worship
Psalm 16:5–9 ESV
The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
I bless the LORD who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
I have set the LORD always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
my flesh also dwells secure.
Song of Praise
Confession and Asurance
Almighty and most merciful Father,
we are thankful that your mercy is
higher than the heavens,
wider than our wanderings,
deeper than all our sin.
Forgive our careless attitudes toward your purposes,
our refusal to relieve the suffering of others,
our envy of those who have more than we have,
our obsession with creating a life of constant pleasure,
our indifference to the treasures of heaven,
our neglect of your wise and gracious law.
Help us to change our way of life
so that we may desire what is good,
love what you love,
and do what you command,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, whihc God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:8-10 ESV)
Confession of Faith: Apostles' Creed
This is a historic summary of "the faith once and for all delivered to the saints." We recite it together during this uncertain time to remember that whatever else happens, these truths that have been passed down to us remain unchanged.
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth;
And in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried,
he descended to the dead.
The third day he rose from the dead,
he ascended into heaven,
and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic1 church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
Song of Praise
How you decide to voice the prayers is up to your group; you may have one person pray out loud, or take turns, etc. The list below gives some suggestions of prayer concerns; you may certainly add your own.
- For the advancement of the Kingdom of God during this time
- Adjustment to the new normal
- Scientists and disease experts who are working on a vaccine for the virus
- Physicians, nurses, other medical professionals who are risking their own health to treat those in need
- Our governmental leaders--The President and Vice President, the Congress, our Governor and other state and local leaders
- Our church leaders who seek to minister to the congregation in unconventional ways
- Members and friends of our congregation who are vulnerable due to health, age, and other circumstances
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. (2 Corinthians 13:14 ESV)
1. In lower case, "catholic" refers not to the Roman Catholic church but to the church made up of genuine Christian believers across time and space. It is similar to the term universal, and some churches substitute that word. But "catholic" is a theological term with a long history, and it's worth knowing and using.↩