May 31 Service
Today is Pentecost Sunday, a day to remember the Holy Spirit's coming to build the church on the first Pentecost in Acts 2. This service includes a few readings and prayers to work through on your own, as well as sermon and song videos. May the Holy Spirit work through these resources to strengthen your faith and hope during this time.
Call to Worship
Psalm 116:13-15 (NASB)
What shall I render to the Lord
For all His benefits toward me?
I shall lift up the cup of salvation
And call upon the name of the Lord.
I shall pay my vows to the Lord,
Oh may it be in the presence of all His people.
Song : Love Divine, All Loves Excelling
This is not a song we regularly sing, but it is appropriate for this Pentecost Sunday. Press play to listen; the lyrics are posted below.
Love divine, all loves excelling
Joy of heaven, to earth come down
Fix in us thy humble dwelling
All Thy faithful mercies crown
Jesus, Thou art all compassion
Pure, unbounded love Thou art
Visit us with thy salvation
Enter every trembling, every trembling heart
Breathe, oh, breathe Thy loving Spirit
Into every troubled breast
Let us all in Thee inherit
Let us find the promised rest
Take away the love of sinning
Alpha and Omega be
End of faith, as its beginning
Set our hearts at liberty, at liberty
Come, Almighty, to deliver
Let us all Thy life receive
Suddenly return, and never
Nevermore Thy temples leave
Thee we would be always blessing
Serve Thee as Thy hosts above
Pray and praise Thee without ceasing
Glory in Thy perfect, in Thy perfect love
Finish, then, Thy new creation
Pure and spotless let us be
Let us see Thy great salvation
Perfectly restored in Thee
Changed from glory into glory
Til in heaven we take our place
Til we cast our crowns before Thee
Lost in wonder, love, in wonder, love and praise
Confession and Assurance
Father of mercies, we confess that we have sinned against You.
By your Holy Spirit, come and work repentance into our hearts.
Help us to see You as You are: with outstretched arms, a loving heart, and power to save.
Help us to see Jesus, the friend of sinners, and to follow Him more faithfully.
As we have received Him, so strengthen us to walk in Him, depend on Him, commune with Him, and be conformed to Him.
Give us an experience of Your grace that makes us bold for others, that we might joyfully tell our friends and neighbors of Your saving mercy. Amen.
Assurance: Romans 8:16-17
The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
Song: Holy Spirit
Sermon: 1 Peter 5:1-5
Confession of Faith: The Apostles' Creed
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth;
And in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried,
he descended to the dead.
The third day he rose from the dead,
he ascended into heaven,
and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic1 church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
Here are some suggested prayer points for you or your group to work through. Feel free to add your own.
- Give thanks to God for His mercy and grace
- Scientists and disease experts who are working on a vaccine for the virus
- Physicians, nurses, other medical professionals who are risking their own health to treat those in need
- Our governmental leaders--The President and Vice President, the Congress, our Governor and other state and local leaders
- Our church leaders as they seek to minister to the congregation in unconventional ways, and as they weigh decisions on how and when to resume services
- Members and friends of our congregation who are vulnerable due to health, age, and other circumstances
- For the civil unrest going on across our nation; for the safety of protesters, by-standers, and law enforcement alike; for an end to the brokenness and injustice at the root of these events.
- Please pray in particular for the safety of Tom and Jane Everett's grandson Zackry, who is a Secret Service member and has been working during the riots at the White House.
- For the advancement of the Kingdom of God during this time
Song: When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing,
so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
1. In lower case, "catholic" refers not to the Roman Catholic church but to the church made up of genuine Christian believers across time and space. It is similar to the term universal, and some churches substitute that word. But "catholic" is a theological term with a long history, and it's worth knowing and using.↩